Medicine Overview of Atavir
Uses of Atavir Tablet
Atavir 300mg is a antiviral drug which is used along with other medication (Ritonavir) for the treatment of human immunodeficiency virus infection in adult and pediatric patients of age at least 3 months and weigh at least 22lb(10kg). Atavir 300mg will reduce the amount of HIV in the blood.
Side effects of Atavir Tablet
Atavir 300mg is a protease inhibitor which cause common and severe side effects for the patients as follows:
Sign of allergic reaction: breathing difficulty, hives, swelling of your face, lips, tongue or throat.
New infection signs: night sweat, swollen glands, weight loss,
Cardiac symptoms: chest pain, rapid heart rate,
Ulcerative : cold sores, sores on your gential or anal area.
Reproductive symptoms : menstrual changes, impotence, loss of interest in sex
Respiratory symptoms: dry cough, wheezing, shortness of breath
If you have following side effects stop taking atavir:
Headache with chest pain and severe dizziness, fast heartbeat.
Severe skin reaction
Common side effects: nausea , vomiting, headache, muscle pain, numbness of burning pain in your hands or feet
How to use Atavir Tablet
In adult dose:
Atavir oral dosage is based on the treatment history of patients, use of other combination drugs. Atavir300mg co administration with proton pump inhibitors then dose separation may be required.
Atavir capsule without Ritonavir are not recommended for experienced treatment in adult and pediatric patients with before the virologic failure.
Recommended dosage of atavir capsule in treatment for new adult patients prescribed as
atavir 300mg and Ritonavir 100mg once daily
unable to tolerate Ritonavir then atavir 400mg once daily
When both drugs in combination with Efavirenz then Atavir 400mg and Ritonavir 100mg once daily
In treatment for experienced adult patients:
Recommended dose is Atavir 300mg and Ritonavir 100mg once daily
Drugs combination with both H2RA and Tenofovir Atavir 400mg and Ritonavir 100mg once daily.
In pediatric patients dose:
Dosage prescribed for patients 6 years to < 18yrs according to the body weight.
In naïve and experienced treatment
< 15 kg – capsules not recommended
15kg to < 20kg – Atavir 150mg and Ritonavir 100mg
20kg to < 40 kg – Atavir 200mg and Ritonavir 100mg
At least 40 kg – Atavir 300mg and Ritonavir 100mg
In new treatment at least 13 years old and cannot tolerate Ritonavir
Atleast 40kg – atavir 400mg without Ritonavir
Atavir should be administrated with food in adult and pediatric.
How to Atavir Tablet works:
Atavir is an antiretroviral drug. Atazanavir is performed as azapeptide HIV-1 protease inhibitor (PI).
The drug specifically prevents the virus-unique processing of viral Gag and Gag-Pol polyproteins in HIV-1 infected cells of human
Hence interfere with the formation of mature group of virus.
Absorption: Rapidly absorbed, peak plasma concentration is 2.5 hours. Atavir enhances the bioavilability with food . bioavilabilty is 60-68%
Distribution: human serum proteins bound is 86% of Atavir
Metabolism : metabolized primarily in liver, In vitro atavir metabolized by CYP3A.
Elimination : Single dose of Atavir 400mg eliminated the total radioactivity was recovered in feces 79% and urine 13%.and unchanged administrated dose in feces is 20% and urine 7%.
Terminal end half life is approx 7 hours.
In Depth Information on Atavir Tablet:
Expert Advice for Atavir Tablets
- Avoid using of proton-pump inhibitors in experienced treatment patients.
- if serious rash occur discontinue the drug;, erythema ,toxic skin eruptions reported.
- Body fat Aggregation, such as obesity in central body, buffalo hump, wasting in facial , peripheral and breast enlargement have been seen in patients taking antiretroviral drug.
- Spontaneous bleeding may occur, stop the drug and consult with doctor
- ECG monitoring must be done in patients when administered with other drugs that may prolong the PR interval
- Chronic kidney disease in HIV-infected patients treated with atavir with or without ritonavir, has been reported during postmarketing surveillance. Do the renal laboratory testing in all patients before to and during therapy; some doctors advised for patients who have noticed renal laboratory abnormalities while on treatmen, consider stoppage of treatment.
- Stone formation in kidney and gallbladder is reported; consider temporary Stoppage or discontinuatio
- Before virologic failure with experienced treatment patients: without ritonavir not recommended
- Treatment with atavir , the patients may cause Worsening of diabetes mellitus and increase in glucose level, immune reconstitution syndrome,
- Hepatitis B or C infection in patients are at risk of increased transaminases shoud be check hepatic laboratory tests before to the treatment and during treatment.
Special Warnings of Atavir Tablets
Alcohol interaction with Atavir 300mg is unknown. Please consult with the doctor.
Category B :Studies on animal and human described that Atavir will not increase the risk of major birth defects. Atavir has been estimated in limited of women during pregnancy and postpartum, hence drug is probably safe to use during pregnancy only If clearly needed.
While on treatment with Atavir 300mg breast feeding is not recommended. Its necessary mother breast feeding their infants to avoid risk of transmission
Avoid driving while on treatment with Atavir 300mg because it will make you feel sleepy, tried or reduce alertness.
Patients with mild to moderate renal problem are preferably safe to use Atavir 300mg tablet. Limited data available suggests that dose adjustment of Atavir Tablet may not be required in these patients. Please consult with your doctor.
Atavir 300mg tablet must be used with caution while on treatment for liver disease. Dose adjustment is necessary. In moderate and severe liver disease, the Atavir 300mg is not recommended to use. Please consult with the doctor for further details.
As soon as you remember take the missed dose. If time for next dose then skips the missed dose and follow the routine scheduled. Do not take more than one tablet per day. Please consult your doctor for changes in dose or new schedule for replace of missed dose.
Amazing Review by Millionpharma
Write Your Own Review
Brand Name : <--------------------> Atavir
Category : <--------------------> HIV Drugs
Sub Category :<--------------------> Atazanavir
Company Name :<--------------------> Cipla Ltd
Ingeridents(Generic Name) :<--------------------> Atazanavir
Tablets :<--------------------> 30 capsules
Package :<--------------------> 1X30
Strength :<--------------------> 300mg