Medicine Overview of Xbira
Xbira is a steroidal progesterone derivative and type of classification belongs to antineoplastics and provide clinical benefits to the patients with prostate carcinoma. Which is an antiandrogen medication is indicated for the treatment prostate cancer which spread to other parts of the body.
Uses of Xbira
Xbira is an CYP17 inhibitor which is prescribed for the treatment of patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer, The patient have received earlier chemotherapy with docetaxel combination with prednisone.
Xbira used in failure of androgen deprivation therapy and the patient clinically not indicated for chemotherapy with prednisone or prednisolone will preferred treatment with metastatic CRPC in adult men.
Side effects of Xbira
Side effects are more common in (>30% occurring)
- Retention of fluid
- Triglycerides increased
- Increased liver enzyme
Less common side effects of Abiraterone (10-29% occurring)
- Swelling of joints
- Decreased potassium levels
- Swelling of hands/ feets
- Muscle discomfort
- Phosphorus level reduced
How to use Xbira
- Prescribed dose of xbira tablets is 1,000 mg, Xibra 250mg given 4 dose orally once in a day (OD).
- Xbira tablets in Combination with prednisone 5 mg administered orally twice daily.
- Xbira Tablets administrated on an empty stomach.
- No food should be consumed for at least 2 hours before and at least 1 hour after the dose of XBIRA Tablets is taken.
- Xbira should be swallowed whole with water.
- Do not crush or chew the tablets.
OVERDOSAGE: Xbira 250mg has no specific antidote, If overdose occurs stop the drug and provide general supportive measures such as monitoring arrhythmias and cardiac failure and assess liver function.
How to Xbira works
A type of steroidal enzyme inhibitor CYP17A1 (17 alpha-hydroxylase/C17,20 lyase) is known as abirateron acetate which is an orally active and It interefere with CYP17A1 in a selective and invariable manner through covalent binding mechanism. An enzyme CYP17A1 which catalyzes the biosynthesis of androgen and is highly expressed in testicular, adrenal, and prostatic tumor tissue. Particularily , abiraterone prevents the conversion of 17-hydroxyprognenolone to dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) by the enzyme CYP17A1 to reduce serum levels of testosterone and other androgens.
Absorption: poorly absorbed and hydrolysis by esterases. Xbira 250mg is a salt form, is a prodrug and have higher oral bioavailability. Time for peak plasma concentration is 1.5 – 4 hours. Food and high fat meals increases absorption.
Distribution: >99% protein bound to alpha – 1- acid glycoprotein and albumin
Metabolism : Xbira by hydrolyzation and It is converted into active metabolite Abiraterone through esterases. CYP3A4 and SULT2A1 is metabolizes into two inactive metabolites called Abiraterone sulfate and N-oxide Abiraterone sulfate.
Elimination: excreted through feces (88%) and urine (5%). Terminal half life is 5-14hours.
In Depth Information on Xbira
Expert Advice for Xbira
- Unknown process of abiraterone acetate is eliminated in semen, hence do not use condom and another method of birth control by men during treatment and for 1 week following the last dose of abiraterone acetate
- Avoid taking another medications, i.e prescription, over-the-counter, vitamins, herbal remedies, etc be sure to inform the doctors before the treatment. Avoid aspirin administering and products containing aspirin till doctor particularily allow the drug.
- In women Abiraterone acetate is not currently used. so if abiraterone acetate is taken by woman, avoid getting pregnant and avoid breast feed during treatment.
- While using this medicine, the fertility in men is decreased. So discuss with doctor about the risk of medicine
Special Warnings of Xbira
Xbira 250mg interaction with alcohol is not known. Please consult with your doctor.
Category X: Abiraterone acetate (xibra) is not recommended for womens, It will cause fetal harm when administered to pregnant women. During treatment if women become pregnant, immediately stop the drug and give counseling to the women.
Abiraterone acetate (Xibra) is not used in women, excretion in human milk is unknown and the drug effects in the nursing infant is unknown.
Xbira 250mg tablet is safe while using on driving. It dose not usually affects your ability to drive.
Xbira 250mg tablet is safe to use in patients with mild moderate kidney disease. No dosage adjustment required for patients. In patients with severe kidney disease limited use with caution.
No dosage adjustment required in patients with baseline mild liver disease. Avoid using of Xbira 250mg while patients with baseline severe hepatic impairment . Dose adjustment may be required. Please consult with your doctor.
The drug dose is missed, then take the drug dose as soon as possible. If next dose time arrived then skip the missed dose and continue the routine schedule. Avoid taking extra dose or 2 dose at one time. Please consult your doctor for further clarification.
Amazing Review by Millionpharma
Write Your Own Review
Category: --------------------Anti-Cancer Drugs
Sub Category:-------------------- Abiraterone Acetate
Brand name:-------------------- Xbira
Ingeridents(Generic Name) :-------------------- Abiraterone acetate
Package:-------------------- 120 tablets/1X120
Strength :-------------------- 250mg