Medicine Overview of Glivec
Glivec 100mg is a antineoplastic agents and used by alone regimen or together with other medicines for the treatment of different types of cancer or bone marrow conditions. Glivec will prevents the development of cancer cells in the body..
Glivec 100mg is manufactured by Natco Pharma Ltd
Uses of Glivec
Glivec 100mg is a cancer curable regimen which indicated for following conditions:
- Aggressive systemic mastocytosis (ASM)
- Chronic eosinophilic leukemia (CEL)
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP)
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST)
- Hypereosinophilic syndrome (HES)
- Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS)
- Myeloproliferative diseases (MPD)
- Philadelphia chromosome positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia (Ph+ ALL)
Side effects of Glivec
The following side effects of Glivec 100mg occurring in >30% for patients
- Low RBC,WBC and platelets: May increased risk for infection, anemia or bleeding; Nausea and vomiting; Swelling of the face, feet, hands (edema) ; Muscle cramps and bone pain; Diarrhea; bleeding problem; Skin rash; Fever.
Less common side effects of Glivec 100mg
- Dyspnea; fatigue; athralagia; stomach cramping; heartburn; cold; decreased appetite; constipation, night sweat; weakness; problems in fertility.
How to use Glivec
Adult : PO
Chronic myeloid leukaemia
- Chronic phase: 400 mg per day, given up to 600 mg/day or 400 mg bid if needed.
- Blast crisis or accelerated phase: 600 mg per day, up to 400 mg bid if required.
Dose of 600 mg per day with induction, consolidation or maintenance therapy for Acute lymphoblastic leukaemia; Monotherapy in relapsed or refractory acute lymphoblastic leukaemia
Unresectable, metastatic GI stromal tumours 400 mg per day up to 400 mg bid.
Hypereosinophilic syndrome 400 mg/day. Initial with 100 mg per day in patients w/ith FIP1L1-PDGF-α fusion kinase.
Myelodysplastic disease: 400 mg per day.
Mastocytosis 400 mg per day. Initial with100 mg/day if there is analog eosinophilia.
Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: 400 mg bid.
Glivec 100mg should be taken with food by oral route.
How to Glivec works
Glivec 100mg is a antineoplastic drug which inhibits the growth of cancer cells and bone marrow condition. Glivec 100mg is also knowns as tyrosine kinase inhibitor that interferes with the BCR-ABL tyrosine kinase produced by the Philadelphia chromosome abnormality in chronic myeloid (blood cancer) leukaemia(CML). It stops the multiplication and induces suppress in BCR-ABL positive cell lines, thereby leukaemic cells from Philadelphia chromosome positive CML. Glivec 100mg also prevent receptor kinases for platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) and stem cell factor (SCF), c-kit, PDGF- and SCF-mediated cellular effects.
Absorption: Fast and well absorbed from the GI tract. Bioavailability of Glivec 100mg is Approx 98%. Duration of peak plasma concentration: 2-4 hr.
Distribution: Plasma protein binding of Glivec 100mg Approx 95%.
Metabolism: Glivec 100mg metabolized in CYP3A4 isoenzyme and to a lesser extent through CYP1A2, CYP2D6, CYP2C9 and CYP2C19 isoenzymes.active metabolite of Glivec 100mg is N-demethylated piperazine derivative.
Excretion: Eliminated through faeces (68%) and urine (13%) within 7 days; excreted mostly as metabolites, with 25% as unchanged drug. Elimination half-life: Approx 18 hr Glivec 100mg and approx 40 hr (N-demethylated piperazine derivative).
In Depth Information on Glivec
Expert Advice for Glivec
While taking Glivec 100mg, Inform your doctor about previously taking medicine involved in prescription and non prescription, over the counter, vitamins, herbal, nutritional supplements.
- Avoid taking aspirin, or products containing aspirin until doctor specifically permit may decrease the effectiveness of this medication.
- Acetominophen (Tylenol®) may not be recommended. Inform your doctor
- Kindly discuss with health care professional if you are pregnant or chance of to be pregnant before starting this treatment.
- For both men and women: Do not conceive a child (get pregnant) whileon treatment with Glivec 100mg. Barrier methods of contraception, such as condoms, are recommended. Discuss with your consultants , it will be safe to become pregnant or conceive a child after treatment.
- Avoid breast feed while on medication therapy.
Special Warnings of Glivec
Alcohol interaction with Glivec 100mg is unknown. Please consult with your doctor.
Pregnancy category D: Glivec 100mg tablet has positive effects on human fetal risk, but the asist from use in pregnant women may be occur even with the risk . It is ineffective while the drug needed for life threatening situation
Glivec 100mg tablet excreted into human milk. Avoid breastfeed during treatment and for 1month after the last dose due to serious adverse reactions in breastfed infants.
Glivec 100mg may cause dizzy, drowsy and affect the ability to drive.
Patients with mild and moderate renal problem increased with normal renal function and not sufficient data in patients with severe renal impairment. Dosage adjustment is required with moderate and severe renal impairment.
Patients with severe liver disease should be used with caution. Dose adjustment is necessary using Glivec 100mg tablet. Please consult the doctor.
If any doses missed by you, administer the dose as soon as possible you remember,If it is near to next dose then skip the missed dose and follow the regular schedule.. Do not take extra or 2 dose at a time. Do not administer the missed dose within 12hrs of the next dose.
Amazing Review by Millionpharma
Write Your Own Review
Category: --------------------Anti-Cancer Drugs
Sub Category:-------------------- Imatinib
Brand name:-------------------- Glivec
Ingeridents(Generic Name) :-------------------- Imatinib
Package:-------------------- 60 ablets/6X10
Strength :-------------------- 100mg